At Gorton Primary School we are committed to raising the attainment of the pupils at our school. To ensure all pupils achieve their potential it is vital that they attend school daily. This attendance page will give you all the information you might need about attendance at Gorton primary School. If you wish to talk to someone about attendance please come into the school office to make an appointment with our Attendance Team.
At Gorton Primary school we are committed to improving the attendance of pupils at our school. As a result of this we have designed a range of incentives to encourage pupils into school on time every day.
- Dojos awarded for punctuality and attendance
- Class with best attendance gets Gordon the Gorton Attendance Bear for the week
- Attendance Newsletters highlighting all the positive work achieved and focused on a different element of attendance each half term
- Attendance certificate and special assembly for all pupils who have achieved 95+% for that half term
- Attendance treat for all pupils who have achieved 95+% for that half term
- Attendance certificate and special assembly for all pupils who have achieved 95+% for that term
- Attendance Disco for all pupils who have achieved 95+% for that half term. During the disco pupils get drinks and snacks and have fun dancing to their favourite songs. Every term we start again from the beginning allowing every pupils a chance to attend the next disco if they have 95% attendance or above.
- 100% attendance badges, certificate and cuddly bear
- 100% Attendance School Trip- Gold Trip paid for by school
Below is a range of letters and leaflets for parents to read with information about attendance.
The Government classifies any pupil whose attendance drops below 90% as a Persistent Absentee. Parents are legally responsible for ensuring that their child attends school regularly. Once attendance drops below 90% the Local Authority are informed and parents may face a fixed penalty fine. Fines are charged per child and per parent. If a fine is not paid or attendance continues to decline then the Local Authority may take parents to court for prosecution. There are a range of sentencing outcomes for the court to impose on each responsible parent, including:
Fine of up to £2,500
Community based sentence
Three months imprisonment
Subject to a Parenting Order – can be additional to other sentences
Costs may be awarded to the council
Where attendance at school drops below 95% school will issue you with a warning letter. Ensuring your child comes to school everyday and on time is the utmost importance.